A Certified Mindfulness Teacher (CMT) is a credential earned by teachers who demonstrate their training meets IMTA Teacher Certification Standards. Currently, we are credentialing for a 200-hour "professional-level" program: the IMTA Certified Mindfulness Teacher, Professional Level (CMT-P). In the future, a 500-hour IMTA Certified Mindfulness Teacher, Advanced Level (CMT-A) certification will be offered for advanced professionals.
Today, to become certified as a provisional CMT-P through the IMTA, prospective candidates must demonstrate the required competency and contact hours outlined in the Program Standards by successfully completing a 200-hour Accredited Mindfulness Teacher Training Program (AMTTP).
All CMT-P credential holders must keep current with continuing education and their renewal fees. In the future, it is the goal of the IMTA Credentialing Committee to incorporate a standardized assessment exam into the CMT-P eligibility requirements. Once this happens, holders of the provisional certification will be required to pay for and pass the exam in order to renew their credential.
Click on the Credentialing Mark below to learn more about the competencies and credit hours for the CMT-Professional designation.
Benefits of becoming a CMT
Certified teachers will receive benefits such as:
- An internationally-recognized credential that shows you have met our minimum standards of mindfulness teacher training.
- Discounted rates, for mindfulness teacher insurance (pending).
- Marketing on the IMTA website via geographically searchable Directory where you can list where you teach and tell the world more about who you are as a mindfulness teacher.
- Access to continuing education opportunities (pending).
- Access to peer support through network of local chapters (pending).
To become a CMT-P, you must:
- Successfully complete training with an Accredited Mindfulness Teacher Training Program (AMTTP)
- Pay the applicable fees
Fees for Teachers
Application fees are non-refundable. Be sure that you meet all application requirements prior to submitting payment. The money you pay to IMTA Credentialing Programs goes towards administering our credentialing system and directory. Renewal fees allow us to keep our organization running, continually improve our credentialing system and expand our benefits and services to credential holders. For questions, contact us.
separate from membership fees
||Introductory Rate $150
* Estimated fee to sit for the CMT-P assessment exam once available